Why You Should Be Harnessing the Power of Email Marketing
Email marketing is a powerful tool – and if utilised correctly, it can prove to be one of the most effective marketing channels available to you.
Email marketing has stood the test of time, marketers have been using it since the mid-90s and there’s a very good reason for this. It works. In a world with so many digital marketing channels available, we think the fact that email marketing continues to achieve results in such a fast-moving technological world, speaks volumes of its versatility and effectiveness.
Email marketing enables you to cost-effectively communicate with your market in a current and relevant way. Here are five key things email marketing can do for you:
- Nurture leads
- Build brand awareness
- Obtain prospects
- Build customer loyalty
- Generate sales
Generally, anyone that uses the internet, has an email account. The sheer number of people you can reach is astounding. In fact, email popularity and usage is on the rise, increasing from 3.9 billion accounts in 2013 and predicted to rise to 4.9 billion accounts by 2017 (www.radicati.com). That’s not the only statistic email marketing has to boast:
- 91% of consumers report checking email at least once a day – (exacttarget.com)
- The average return on email marketing investment is $44.25 for every dollar spent – (Experian.com)
- Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring new customers than Facebook and Twitter combined – (idc.com)
- Email now accounts for more than 7% of all ecommerce user acquisitions – (Custora.com)
- Customer Lifetime Value of customers acquired through email is 12% higher than the average. Twitter is 23% lower than the average – (custora.com)
- 33% of consumers report that email contributes most to their online spending – (awprotools.com)
- 44% of email recipients made at least one purchase last year based on a promotional email – (exacttarget.com)
- 7 in 10 people say they made use of a coupon or discount from a marketing email in the prior week – (2012 blue kangaroo study)
And the rise of smartphone culture will only serve to make email marketing even more effective:
- Email is the no.1 activity on smartphones, with 78% of people checking emails on their phone – (Experian.com)
- 49% of all emails are now opened on mobile (Feb 14) – (Litmus.com)
- Mobile emails have grown by 21% in 2013 – (Litmus.com)
- Over 70% of mobile purchasing decisions are influenced by promotional emails – (yesmail.com)
- 30% of consumers now read their email exclusively on mobile devices – (yesmail.com)
- Mobile purchasing decisions are most influenced by emails from companies (71%) only surpassed by the influence of friends (87%) – (Adobe Digital Report)
- Email is the number one most popular activity on smartphones – 78% of people check email on their mobile phone – (idc.com)
As you can see, all pretty impressive. However, in order to achieve the best results, you need to create professional-looking email campaigns. You’ll also need to create an email list, this can be tricky, but with the right calls-to-action (CTAs), you’ll have an email list in no time.
For a summary of some of the key statistics, check out our handy infographic:
If you’d like to find out more about email marketing, why not get in touch? We’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.